[Bug] arm64: glamor: display abnormal when rotate screen

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Nov 21 21:48:08 UTC 2016

Mark yao <mark.yao at rock-chips.com> writes:

> On 2016年11月15日 02:32, Eric Anholt wrote:
>> Mark yao <mark.yao at rock-chips.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Eric
>>>
>>> We found some display problem when rotate the screen.
>>>
>>> You can see the abnormal display picture on attachment.
>>>
>>> Bug reproduce step:
>>> 1, run lubuntu session.
>>> 2, rotate screen: xrandr --output eDP-1 --rotate right
>>> 3, run lxterminal, enter some message, move the lxterminal, then you
>>> can find font become abnormal.
>>>
>>> We try that:
>>> 1, disable glamor, looks good, no problem.
>>> 2, use screenshot to catch abnormal display, the screenshot picture is
>>> normal, no problem.
>>> 3, use x86 desktop pc(OpenGL), run same display with glamor, no
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Our testing environment:
>>> rk3399 board:
>>> CPU: arm64
>>> GPU: mali t86x(mali ddk r9p0, EGL 1.4, opengles 2.x)
>>>
>>> Eric, seem this problem only happen on EGL context, do you see this
>>> problem before? I don't know how to debug for it,
>>> Can you help us to analysis it?
>> glamor has never worked correctly on GLES2 that I know of.  Have you run
>> the X Test suite on the X Server master branch against your stack to
>> validate it?  The texture transfers were broken, in my experience, and
>> would need wrappers to format-convert inside of X.
>>
>> With proper open source drivers we get desktop GL, so nobody else has
>> been working on GLES support.
> Sadly hear this, I found gles is support on glamor source code, how does
> the gles develop?
>
> With some hack, Currently Now glamor works mostly fine on our boards, so
> we want to use glamor
> on our project, but we have few experience about it, about the rotate
> bug, maybe something wrong
> on the texture transfers, but we don't know to debug it, can you give
> some guide about it.

I was going to suggest trying to reproduce under Xephyr -glamor_gles2 so
that you could take an apitrace and try to track down if there's a draw
call going wrong and whether it's your driver for glamor at fault.
However, xrandr -x under Xephyr -glamor is crashing for me.

I still highly recommend running the test suite in your environment as
the first step in validating that your stack works.