VT8623 [Apollo CLE266]

CK nibbana at gmx.us
Tue Dec 27 10:11:48 UTC 2016

The Xorg server has been broken for 2-3 years when
using drivers for this chipset.  I am not enough of
an Xorg geek to know all the details, but it broke
between FreeBSD 9.3 and later releases.  And between
Linux Puppy Precise-5.7.1 and later releases.

And all 3 drivers were tried: the original VIA driver,
the 0.3.3 openchrome driver, and the 0.5.0 openchrome
driver - and these are good fanless boards that are
still sold today (686s) and they should be supported,
especially since they worked fine previously and the
support was broken in some way - I still use and/or
support over dozen of them with UNIX type systems
that rely on Xorg.  These boards are not old
outdated technolgy by any standard.

Please fix whatever was broken, so that boards relying
on this chipset can function with future UNIX-type
system releases.  Thank you.