[RFC] Why Xorg waits for long time(200ms+) to invoke VT_RELDISP?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Dec 6 18:17:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-11-17 at 14:18 +0800, Yu Chen wrote:

> May I know why Xorg takes 200ms+ before acking with VT_RELDISP?

Because it's been asked to set the hardware back to text mode, which
requires reprogramming the GPU, which takes time.

200ms is more time than it probably _should_ take, but you haven't
specified (either in this email or in the bug you link to) what GPU
this is and which driver you're using, so I can't be any more specific
about what exactly is taking so much time and how it can be avoided
without that.

- ajax