X server commit process

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Oct 16 09:21:27 PDT 2015

We had a discussion at XDC which resulted in some minor changes in how
patches are getting merged to the X server. Instead of having everything
route through me, we've got a group of people doing that work, each
focused on different areas:

 * Eric Anholt      - glamor
 * Alan Coopersmith - security
 * Peter Hutterer   - input
 * Adam Jackson     - xfree86 backend
 * Keith Packard    - misc

All of us will also pick up minor patches throughout the tree and get
them merged.

We still have a requirement that each patch be marked as Reviewed-by:
and include a Signed-off-by: line, and need to be 'generally agreed to
be useful'. The latter is sometimes a judgement call, and will depend on
the current release process status at times.

Adam has also been working to reduce the patchwork queue in a desperate
attempt to make that useful.

We're hoping that this will reduce the time it takes to merge patches,
especially as I'm available less regularly.

--
-keith