About xf86-video-armsoc integration

Xinliang Liu xinliang.liu at linaro.org
Fri May 22 01:15:11 PDT 2015

On 13 May 2015 at 18:16, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Michal,
Thank you very much for your reply. It does make much sense:-)
I fix the "DMA: Out of SW-IOMMU space"  issue by adding a "dma-coherent;"
property to both display drm and gpu driver dts node.

There are two dma_map_ops implementations of swiotlb for arm64, that
are: noncoherent_swiotlb_dma_ops and coherent_swiotlb_dma_ops.
By default,device driver use the noncoherent one. In our case, the buffers,
which allocated in display drm driver, are coherent.
So we need to add a "dma-coherent;" property to both display drm and gpu
driver dts node to make sure our drm and gpu driver use the coherent one.
Now i can run OpenGL ES application now, such as es2gears.

On 12 May 2015 at 15:03, Guillaume Tucker <guillaume.tucker at arm.com> wrote:
> >> Then i run  startx, i can see the desktop on the monitor.
> >> But i found that the X process doesn't load any EGL and GLES libs by
> >> seeing the info of /proc/X process ID/task/*/smaps file.
> >
> > Most X11 desktop environments use OpenGL, not OpenGL ES.  Then like most
> > embedded GPUs, Mali-450 only supports OpenGL ES so the X11 desktop is
> > not hardware-accelerated.
>
> This is somewhat unrelated to the issue of the armsoc driver being a
> bug pile that makes your system crash.
>
> However, both GNOME and KDE can use OpenGL ES for desktop acceleration.
>
> Do you know if Debian desktop can use  OpenGL ES for acceleration? And how?

Other desktops use Render or whatever acceleration which is actually
> faster for small scale effects when done in software but can be a bit
> sluggish for large window moves/resizes on slow CPUs.
>

> >> [    23.793] (II) GLX: no usable GL providers found for screen 0
> >
> > This means that although X11 found a valid armsoc driver and is enabled
> > to run OpenGL ES apps it won't run desktop-like OpenGL apps or desktop
> > environments that need OpenGL.
>
> There is a shim library to translate OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES calls
> so you can run desktop OpenGL applications that use OpenGL features
> for which the translation was already added.
> I don't remember the exact library name, unfortunately.

I have searched for it on the internet, but i can find it. If you remember
the lib name please tell me.

> Thanks
>
> Michal

Best regards,