Nested procedures into X12

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Jun 17 12:44:20 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-17 at 10:50 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> I thought we'd seen a proposal to add a new Fixes request that
> selected
> for specific property events; that would certainly be easy to add.

>From me, even:

http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/8050/

I hadn't thought to also make it emit a generic event and include the
property value in that proposal.  Would be nice for pagers and window
managers though, since you end up needing a ton of _NET_WM_FOO on every
window.  (Admittedly metacity and descendents roll their own async
GetWindowProperty so it's only _one_ round trip, but.)

> Using an enormous API like OpenGL in every application isn't an
> obvious
> win though; the cost of setting up and maintaining all of that state
> is
> still non-trivial, especially for text rendering.

I mean, sure, GL's not ideal, that's why they keep chopping stuff off
it, core contexts and GLES and soon vulkan.  But I'm pretty sure "we
put all this rendering stuff in the server because we didn't have
shared libraries" is a story I've heard from you.

Should there be some common rendering API?  Yeah probably.  Should it
live in the presentation server?  Probably not, but the SI isn't built
like that.

> The only non-trivial operations in X are ridiculous rendering
> requests;
> so we need to execute those asynchronously with respect to other X
> requests. Doing rendering entirely within the client is one solution,
> one wonders if there might not be others?

I'm not really interested in trying to split ridiculous rendering to a
server thread, if that's what we're talking about.  X's atomicity
requirements make that pretty gross.

- ajax