Xorg 7.7 question on Thinkpad T550

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Fri Jul 3 14:32:35 PDT 2015

I am running FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE on a Thinkpad T550 laptop.  After
building the Xorg port, as root, I ran "# Xorg -configure" and then
looked at the generated xorg.conf.new file.  There were two Device
sections (!), one for the integrated Intel graphics, and the other
for VESA grapics.

I modified the xorg.conf.new file to comment out the VESA section
and made other changes that I have learned over the years work for
me (I've been using XFree86 then Xorg on FreeBSD for ~twenty years).

When I tried "Xorg -config xorg.conf.new", the system just hung!  :-(

After a reboot I moved the xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and
using a non-root account, I issued "% xstart" which gave this error:

   (EE) no screens found(EE)

In the xorg.conf.new there were two "Card"s at the same bus address:
"PCI:0:2:0" -- one is Intel, and the other is VESA.

When I comment out the VESA "Card", I get the "no screens found" error.
When I comment out the Intel "Card", it looks like things are working
according to the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, but nothing works on the
screen -- no mouse, no keyboard, and I have to reboot, sigh...   :-(

The LCD display when using the VESA "Card" looks almost decent: there
is a mottled grey background with a small "x" or "+" mouse cursor in
the very center (which, of course, doesn't move).   :-(

When I ran "%pciconf -lv" from a non-root account, I got this output:

   vgapci0 at pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x222317aa chip=0x16168086 rev=0x09 hdr=0x00
   vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
   class      = display
   subclass   = VGA

The "Card0" section of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf contains that PCI:0:2:0
string for both the Intel "Card" and the VESA "Card".

I have attached the two "Device" sections from my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file along with most of my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file (omitting many
of the screen resolution sections).  Here is my final, "Screen" section:

   Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Modes "1920x1080" "1280x1024"
                Depth 16
        EndSubSection
   EndSection

Can you, or any Xorg developer, explain why I can't get an Xorg session
to operate properly on this Thinkpad T550 laptop?  Thank you in advance.

Regards,

web...

--

 /"\   ASCII RIBBON          / William Bulley
 \ /   CAMPAIGN AGAINST     /
  X    HTML E-MAIL AND     / E-MAIL: web at umich.edu
 / \   LISTSERV POSTINGS  /

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|