via_ati_questions

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 22:35:15 PDT 2015

On 6 August 2015 at 15:55, Doug Lasse <yeaohyeaoh3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing to you cause I have several questions about my 2 graphics card
> which are VIA K8N800/K8M800/K8N800A Unichrome Pro IGP and ATI Radeon 8500.
>
> For my VIA : I've tried openchrome and proprietary via driver but without
> any success. Is there an old openchrome I could download ? Cause the link at
> freedesktop.org seems to be dead.
>
> For my Radeon : I've all the fglrx I could (olders and newers) but none work
> fine. So I tried with the generic driver radeon : but I works fine but only
> without hardware acceleration : neither 2D nor 3D.
> I know there's a radeon or fglrx which could suit me perfectly cause I tried
> Mandriva 2006 or 2010 and I had 3D acceleration working perfectly : prove :
> Neverball was more than ok for graphicals.

Hello,

since you have and AGP card the onboard card is disabled. If you pull
out the AGP card the onboard one will probably work with openchrome.

Since K8M800 was an AGP chipset and there is no known way to set up an
AGP bridge reliably maybe the acceleration was blacklisted on your
distro to reduce inflow of pretty much unresolvable bugreports for
obsolete hardware.

Without logs it is hard to tell what's going on.

HTH

Michal