F21/F22: xorg-x11-drv: which for SiS?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 09:01:50 PDT 2014

Hans de Goede wrote on 2014-09-25 08:45 (GMT-0400):

>>> this package is dead for Fedora 21 and later due to lack of KMS support.

>> Not exactly. My OP here was intended to goto the
>> devel at lists.fedoraproject.org list, but I copied and pasted the wrong address
>> from an email that had been sent both places. I later sent it there, and
>> ultimately was told (by ajax) that lack of maintainer was the reason for its
>> elimination[1], and not just from Rawhide, but the package is gone from
>> Fedora 19, 20 & 21 repos as well.

> No it is not, it has been retired for F-21 and later.

I looked for it on all F18, F19, F20, F21 & Rawhide repos I could find, and
found it nowhere. Had I found it on any of them I wouldn't have looked for,
found, and installed it from another distro's rpm.

> And as I've already told
> you in a reply to devel at lists.fedoraproject.org, you are free to step up to
> maintain it in Fedora and unretire it. I've even offered my help in doing so,
> and that offer still stands.

I don't, and won't, "maintain" any software packages. My supply of round
tuits is chronically short of need as is.

I don't program. One language is all I can handle.

What I do do is I routinely test on more than a dozen non-recent, mostly
single core, mostly 32 bit CPU, computers. One of the newer ones has onboard
Z7/Z9 (XG20 core), LGA775, and neither AGP nor PCIe slots, a server board. My
supply of PCI gfxcards include none that make better sense to me to keep in
my test stack than its onboard Z7/Z9.

Testing is my primary contribution to FOSS, spotting, confirming across
distros, versions, and/or hardware as necessary, and reporting what FOSS
evolution, intentional or otherwise, leaves working no longer. It's something
contributors with only latest/greatest hardware, and virtual machines, cannot do.

The sis and mga drivers are yet more cases of pushing hardware toward
landfills and recyclers before their suitability to task naturally expires.
Fedora seems to be the leader in this anti-eco-friendly realm.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/