F21/F22: xorg-x11-drv: which for SiS?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 24 12:23:21 PDT 2014

Laércio de Sousa wrote on 2014-09-23 08:05 (GMT-0300):

>> Felix Miata wrote:

>>> xorg-x11-drv-sis seems to have disappeared. Did that happen on purpose? It
>>> still exists as a selelection in Bugzilla. Xorg is looking for sis module but
>>> cannot find it. Gfxchip here is Z7/Z9 (XG20 core). Is it now supposed to be
>>> using some other (not installed) driver? Before today's upgrade, X still
>>> worked.

>> Seems to exist to me:

>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-sis/

> According to
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/xorg-x11-drv-sis.git/commit/?id=95dc18d4c803988702974635badb391cc50b6a63

> this package is dead for Fedora 21 and later due to lack of KMS support.

Not exactly. My OP here was intended to goto the
devel at lists.fedoraproject.org list, but I copied and pasted the wrong address
from an email that had been sent both places. I later sent it there, and
ultimately was told (by ajax) that lack of maintainer was the reason for its
elimination[1], and not just from Rawhide, but the package is gone from
Fedora 19, 20 & 21 repos as well.

I have the SiS driver working in Rawhide by installing Cauldron's rpm. The
VESA driver is garbage for widescreen displays. e.g. neither 1440x900 nor
1920x1080 are available[2].

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-September/202632.html
[2] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-September/202617.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/