xlocale-config

Ran Benita ran234 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 13:44:33 PDT 2014

This set of patches splits the locale data (the nls/ directory and a
couple of related patches) from Xlib to a separate repository,
"xlocale-config" (the insparation is xkeyboard-config which I think has
worked out well). Xlib is made to depend on xlocale-config.

The reason for doing this is to be able to use the Compose files without
depending on Xlib. To correctly use the Compose files, the rest of the
locale data is also needed. My own interest is for a Compose
implementation in libxkbcommon, but other projects also have Compose
implementations independent of Xlib (Qt5 and probably others).

Some distributions such as Debian already have a split libx11-data
package. But I think this is better done upstream, and I don't think many
other distribution which do something similar.

Note: when we discussed this on IRC, we agreed to leave the
nls/*/XI18N_OBJS files in the libX11 repo. Having tried that, it causes
a lot of duplication and fragility, and it would make it harder to e.g.
add new locales. This could potentially create a circular dependency if
some change in Xlib necessitates a change in the XI18N_OBJS files.
>From looking at git log something like that was never necessary besides
(maybe?) one case:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/commit/?id=0e45f64766c0557c8e99a979c70ca6f55664dae7

Finally, the xlocale-config copies over the files from libX11. If you
prefer to preserve the git history it is not a problem (I wanted to avoid
having duplicate history with different SHAs in two live repos).

Some patches are snipped due to large size (and for deletions I used
--irreversible-delete). You can find them here:
https://github.com/bluetech/libX11/ (xlocale-config branch)
https://github.com/bluetech/xlocale-config

Thanks,
Ran