Writing a new driver for nested Xorg servers based on Xephyr code

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Oct 6 12:32:46 PDT 2014

On Sep 26, 2014 7:52 AM, "Laércio de Sousa" <
laerciosousa at sme-mogidascruzes.sp.gov.br> wrote:
> Now I've started playing with xf86-video-nested and Xephyr code, trying
to merge as much code as possible. It's still in an embrionary stage, so I
want to ask you some questions:

> * Is there an official position from X.Org development team about
deprecating Xephyr in favour of a driver based approach for nesting Xorg
server? Or at least let both approaches coexist (maybe moving common code
to a shared library, as I've asked you previously)?

Asking for an official position isn't especially effective in this
community, as we don't have anyone designated as a decision-maker. But
perhaps we can have a conversation about this question at the X.Org
Developers Conference in Bordeaux this week.

My personal opinion is that we might as well turn all the current X servers
into Xorg loadable drivers, but obviously we don't have a community-wide
consensus on that. ;-)

> * In case I decide to proceed with Xephyr code merging into a video
driver, should I do it in current project xf86-video-nested, or fork a new
one (e.g. xf86-video-ephyr)?

I would suggest doing it in the nested project, even if you wind up
rewriting it from scratch. There isn't much value in keeping the current
nested code if you get something Xephyr-like working.

I'm glad to see you picking this up!
Jamey