Present extension and TearFree on Intel

Keith Winstein keithw at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 11 16:19:16 PST 2014

Thanks, Keith. Unfortunately UXA (with TearFree off) shows the same problem
-- a tear that slowly moves down the screen over the course of a few
seconds, then repeats soonafter. The application still sees the idle events
at the correct rate with jitter < 1 ms; it's just the on-screen display
shows the tear.

Do you think there is a workable option for us, from the client
application's perspective (or that this is likely to be fixed in future
versions of the X server)? We don't really want to tell users to muck with
their xorg.conf to turn on TearFree. Of course we can certainly switch back
to using OpenGL -- it's just that the Present API is so attractive!

I'm also happy to try to get my hands dirty with debugging it if you have
some suggestions for where to start looking.

Thanks,
Keith