Suggestions for possible GSoC project proposals regarding Wayland/X11 development?

Stephen Chandler Paul thatslyude at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:52:11 PDT 2014

Hello,
	I'm a college student who is looking into taking part in the Google
Summer of Code, specifically with X.Org and Wayland. However, I've been
having a bit of a challenge finding a project proposal that I think I
would be able to implement, and one that involves working with Wayland
(or if that's not possible, X.Org) and is requires enough work to be a
reasonable proposal for GSoC.
	As of now I currently have a mild amount of experience with the X11
codebase, as I took part in designing and implementing support in
xf86-input-synaptics for emulating soft buttons for TrackPoints on the
latest series of Lenovo laptops, and managed to get two commits merged
upstream. I have taken a look of the list of possible proposals on the
X.Org page and although it is possible I might be able to handle them
once I do more research on the issues in X they cover, I want to see if
I can find a proposal with Wayland or Xorg that I would feel more
comfortable implementing and using as my proposal when the nearing
deadline for GSoC applications come before choosing one of those.
	The vast majority of my programming experience is with the C
programming language and I have managed to attain a very solid
understanding of the language, I also have a good amount of experience
with glib and GTK+3. Other then working with the TrackPoint soft
buttons, my hardware experience is limited but I am always willing to
learn and pick up any additional skills I might need.
	This being said, I'm digging through Google results and IRC channels in
search of a potential proposal. I've looked around and tried to find a
solid roadmap or to-do list for Wayland that I could make one with, but
the only one I managed to find is apparently very out dated.
	I've asked around in #Wayland and Zoxc presented a task that sounds
like it might be perfect for me: Implementing color management in
Weston/Wayland (this is also why I Cc'd openicc at lists.freedesktop.org)
and updating his current patches to work with the latest versions of
Wayland/Weston. The patches he mentioned can be found here:
https://github.com/Zoxc/weston/compare/master...gl-work , and the
current proposal for how color management will be implemented that he
has come up with can be found here:
https://github.com/Zoxc/weston/blob/cms/protocol/cms.xml . This is
something I'd be perfectly willing to undertake, but I don't know if
this is something that would be a large enough project to be a
reasonable proposal.

	So I'd like to ask if you guys had any ideas for good GSoC proposals
concerning (preferably)Wayland or X11 that aren't currently listed on
the suggestions page for X.org GSoC project proposals on
FreeDesktop.org? I'd also like to know if the project proposal I
currently have, implementing color management for Weston/Wayland, is
something you guys think would be a reasonable project proposal for
GSoC.

	I'm eager to hear what you guys have to suggest, and am very much
hoping I have a chance to take part in GSoC. And thank you very much in
advance for taking the time to read through this.

Sincerely,
	Stephen Chandler Paul