Detecting whether the X server VT is the active one

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Mar 17 04:45:46 PDT 2014

On 05/03/14 19:50, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 16:01 +0100, Michael Thayer wrote:
>> Another problem that I am running into is that the X11 client part of
>> our Guest Additions needs to know whether or not the X server VT is
>> currently the active one, for example so that it can disable our
>> "seamless windows" functionality if the server is switched out.
>> Currently we do this too with a hack in our DDX.  This only needs to
>> work with a standard X.Org server, so I thought about adding code to the
>> server to add and update a root window property to pass on the
>> information.  Does that sound like an acceptable solution, and if not,
>> does anyone have a better one?
>
> I think that sounds reasonable.  There's already cases of people getting
> confused about things like XGetImage not working when VT switched away.
> If we're going to preserve that behaviour - which I do wish would
> eventually be optional - it's reasonable to give clients a way to know
> that it's happening in-band with the rest of X.  (Consulting systemd or
> consolekit or whatever isn't generally useful, since if the client is on
> another machine there's no way it could talk to the appropriate daemon.)

Sorry, it has taken me a while to get around to this (too many tasks
competing for my attention!)  A patch to do this is coming up.  In order
to reduce the area of code touched (and in particular so as not to have
to register the property at initialisation time as per XFree86_VT) I did
this as a property which is created when the VT is switched out and
removed again when it is switched back in.  Please tell me if this is
acceptable or if it is too hack-ish.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher