Issues with Modes implementation of Screen Rotation on USB-Connected SMSC UFX6000 video

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 08:48:16 PDT 2014

I currently maintain the commercial version of the Xorg display driver for
usb-connected SMSC UFX6000 and UFX7000 chipsets.

Recently we've been looking into implementing standard screen rotation.
Since there is no hardware support for it in the chipsets, we would prefer
to simply set the shadow_allocate, shadow_create and shadow_destroy
functions in xf86CrtcFuncsRec and have that work.

However, seeing as our graphic memory is at the other end of a usb
connection, we're already using a shadow buffer to capture damage events to
ship off. Naturally we did this by hooking the Screen BlockHandler function.

Now, when we turn on rotation, the Modes module ALSO hooks the BlockHandler
function, and the result is a total mess.

We are hoping someone on this list knows an easy work-around as otherwise
we appear to be looking at weeks of implementation effort to add  simple 90
degree rotations.

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.