glamor regressions with radeonsi (Re: xserver: Branch 'master' - 15 commits)

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Apr 8 00:12:09 PDT 2014

On Die, 2014-04-08 at 00:00 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:
>
> > Current xserver master takes on the order of ten seconds to start up
> > xterm on my Kaveri box. I'm sure you agree that's not acceptable. :)
>
> That's gotta be a performance problem in the GL driver then; we're
> uploading on the order of 200 teeny little textures. Perhaps you might
> profile things and see if there's something just obviously wrong with
> mesa here?

No time for that right now, but I think the glamor code is doing
conceptually the wrong thing anyway: glTexSubImage is intended for
changing parts of an existing texture. But the glamor code is creating a
complete texture from scratch, which is what glTexImage is for. Let's
not do the wrong thing and expect the GL implementation (keep in mind
this code may end up running on non-Mesa GL stacks as well) to handle it
gracefully.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer