[RFC] X.Org minimum requirements for Autotools policy review

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 29 14:16:53 CET 2013

On 13-10-24 02:17 PM, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> Recommendations
>
>  1. We should prereq libtool 2.2 as a minimum (available since 2008).
>  2. We should prereq autoconf 2.62 as a minimum (available since
>     2008). Keeps us in the same time period and is required by
>     automake 1.11.
>  3. We should prereq automake 1.11 (available since 2009). Keeps us in
>     the same time period.
>
>     If the policy is changed, the wiki will be updated.

Let's get started with libtool. No one is objecting to libtool 2.2. It's
been in use for several years.

This will allow fixing some warnings and prevent some errors like having
both AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and LT_INIT statements. It will prevent developers
from wasting time tripping on obsolete code.

The X.Org Modular Tree Developer's Guide:

    http://www.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide/#index2h3