Updates to the Present and DRI3 extension specifications

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Oct 22 14:41:46 CEST 2013

davyaxel at free.fr writes:

> That's why I suggest to add that a PresentCompleteModeFlip can happen
> also when the window isn't fullscreen,

CompleteModeFlip just says that the pixmap remains in-use even after the
PresentPixmap operation completes; it doesn't say anything about
full-screen pixmaps. In fact, I don't see any wording anywhere in
Present mentioning full-screen operations being special. I did notice
that the CompleteModeFlip section was a bit unclear as to when the
pixmap *would* go idle, saying that it would go idle when the next
PresentPixmap was 'performed by any client'; the consistent wording to
use here is 'next PresentPixmap operation completes'. I've changed this
to clarify

> and that PresentOptionAsync can be useful too when the window isn't
> fullscreen.

PresentOptionAsync is actually *easier* when not using flips -- you just
blt immediately. I can't see how the current wording makes it seem like
this option only relates to flipping operations; it just says 'the
operation will be performed as soon as possible, not necessarily waiting
for the next vertical blank interval.

keith.packard at intel.com