[RFC] GLX dispatch rewrite

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Nov 29 16:07:37 PST 2013

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at freedesktop.org> writes:

> We can't guarantee what symbols (ie OpenGL extensions) will be
> available in libGL at link time and runtime which is why I wrote
> _glapi_create_table_from_handle.  This fills out the dispatch table
> with entry points into our libGL (or no-op entries if unavailable).

Ok, I think I'm getting a better idea of what's going on at least,
thanks for answering over the weekend :-)

> Specifically, we have these linking issues due to capabilities not in
> our libGL at build time.

Talking with Jon on IRC, it sounds like he really does want the old
dispatch tables so that he can flip between Mesa swrast and native GL on
the fly.

Ideally, I think what we want is a header file that would #define the
gl names to go through a dispatch table, so that only systems that
needed GL thunks would end up using them. And, for the dispatch table to
be generated from mesa source, of course.

Is this a simple matter of pulling bits out of the old tree and sticking
them somewhere? If we can limit the effect of these changes to OS X and
Windows, I'm reasonably comfortable closing the non-critical window down
and having work on the fix go on in parallel with other testing.

keith.packard at intel.com