[RFC] GLX dispatch rewrite

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Nov 29 12:13:17 PST 2013

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at freedesktop.org> writes:

> So what's the story on this?  How should we solve this for xquartz and
> xwin?  Should we pull the old code into hw/xquartz/GL and hw/xwin/GL?
> That seems redundant.  So should we restore it in some other way?  I'd
> really like to get master working for OS X (at-least XQuartz, but
> hopefully Xorg as well).

I'd love to understand this issue a bit better, and am willing to hold
the non-critical bug window open another few days to see if we can't
come up with a solution before we abandon GLX support on non-DRI
platforms.

As I understand things, Adam's plan was to eliminate going through the
DRI driver's dispatch table and instead bind directly to libGL
itself. As such, that doesn't seem to directly bear on systems that
don't go through the DRI loader interface.

I'm sure someone can explain the reason these systems are unable to link
to libGL and use the symbols directly, so I'd like to know what we need
to put back into the X server to make them work.

keith.packard at intel.com