[ANNOUNCE] libxshmfence 1.0

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Nov 3 22:33:34 CET 2013

Mark Kettenis <mark.kettenis at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Please do.  I fear the xserver is unbuildable for most of us now, also
> because the MIT-XSHM protocol extensions are nowehere to be found.

The MIT-SHM patches have been available since March in my xextproto
repo, and were finally reviewed last Thursday by Adam; I'm afraid I was
a bit too busy on Thursday to also release a new version of that package.

> Not sure what the xserver 1.15 release plan is, but I get the feeling
> that you're trying to rush this in just before the release.

All of this code has been published for months now; the last week saw
some minor protocol updates in response to comments made during XDC. The
only rush part of this was the review. I got valuable feedback from
several people about technical details in the extension, but I don't
recall ever getting feedback about how this might work in non-Linux
environments until RC1 was released.

> That seems a seriously bad plan given the obvious lack of proper
> review and testing that all this new stuff has received.

I'm happy to respond to review comments at any time. Sooner is always
better, but we're still two months before 1.15 final, so this doesn't
seem like the last minute to me.

I'm not sure how to get additional testing before RC1 though; I've been
running all of this code for months on my machines, but I haven't heard
of anyone else bothering to give it a try. The fact that it requires
rebuilding a large chunk of the system definitely doesn't encourage
building by casual users.

> The issue raised by Kristian defenitely feels like a show-stopper to
> me.

Patch submitted to the mailing list; please help by reviewing and
testing in your environment.

keith.packard at intel.com