X11 status Capture for an arbitary application

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri May 17 10:16:56 PDT 2013

On Freitag, 17. Mai 2013 17:37:37 CEST, Dibyayan Chakraborty wrote:
> I would like to build an application which would monitor an arbitrary
> application and notify its total machine resource usage statistics.

This has in general nothing to do with X11, but depends on the underlying system (on linux, check the /proc filesystem. Do *not* ask such things on lkm - they're gonna eat you)

To monitor the resources an application holds via the X11 server (amount of allocated pixmaps etc.), check the sourcecode of xrestop.

To get several attributes of a random Window (that is *not* the same as a process nor application) check http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window-information/XGetWindowAttributes.html for the xlib API - there's corresponding xcb_get_window_attributes

Cheers,
Thomas