(Crowd funded) fix for SiS 671/771 video cards

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon May 6 18:30:31 PDT 2013

On 05/ 6/13 06:22 PM, Connor Behan wrote:
> Maybe you'll find someone who
> has a SiS card lying around and say "I'll pay you $100 to put that card
> in your computer, write an xorg.conf file for it, figure out why it
> won't start and then change 2 or 3 lines to make it start again" but it
> won't be worth it.

Especially when you can buy 2 or 3 new ATI or Nvidia cards for that $100
and get much better performance & support than trying to make an old card
limp along forever.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204025&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

The lack of maintainers for many old cards is in large part because the
cost of a new card with a well-maintained driver is less than people think
their time is worth for the many hours it takes to bring the old drivers up
to snuff and test on all the different models.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com