Google Summer of Code ideas needed

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 07:13:52 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Tom Stellard <tstellar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's time again for Google Summer of Code, so we need to start
> updating the X.Org ideas page
> (http://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas) with new ideas.  Since there
> have been a few issues with the wikis lately, if you have any ideas
> please respond to this thread, and I will make sure they get onto the
> official ideas page (but still feel free to update the wiki page
> yourself if you can).  A good project description should contain:
>
> - A brief description of the project
> - A difficulty rating (e.g. easy, medium, hard)
> - The skills / programming languages required
>
> Also, I am going to purge all the old ideas from the ideas page in the
> next week, so if there are any of the old ideas that you think are
> still relevant, let me know and I will keep it.
>
> The ideas page is used as one of the criteria by Google for selecting
> mentoring organizations and part of the reason X.Org was not selected
> last year was that the ideas page was not up to par, so if we want to
> participate in Google Summer of Code this year, it is important we
> have a good ideas page with lots of ideas.

Shatter support for the Xserver (Xinerama replacement)
Difficulty: Hard
Skills Required: C, Xserver knowledge
Helpful, but optional skills: GPU driver development
Possible Mentor: Dave Airlie
Where to ask questions: xorg-devel at lists.freedesktop.org, #xorg-devel
on irc.freenode.net
This project would involve adding an impedance layer to the X server
to divide rendering between multiple GPUs each covering different
areas of a larger desktop.  For more details:
http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2013/ogv/Teaching_the_X_server_new_tricks.ogv