managing patches with git

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Jun 25 15:13:18 PDT 2013

On 06/25/13 02:31 PM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Btw, what's the appropriate method to create a patch that's a merged
> version of previous patches, which are separate commits in my local
> copy of the repository? Just creating diffs against origin like I do
> now creates patches in a different format. On the other hand, checking
> out HEAD again, copying the change over and making a new commit is a
> bit much effort. There must be an easier way.

To resync with HEAD, I use "git pull --rebase".

To merge patches, or change previous ones, I use "git rebase -i origin",
especially with the "squash" and "fixup" options (or "reword" if I'm
just adding reviewed-by tags & similar commit comment changes).

http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Rewriting-History
https://help.github.com/articles/interactive-rebase

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com