Current DRI3 specification

Arthur Huillet arthur.huillet at free.fr
Fri Jun 7 02:45:18 PDT 2013

Hello,

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 16:51:33 -0700
"Keith Packard" <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

> ┌───
>     DRI3PixmapFromBuffer
> 	pixmap: PIXMAP
> 	drawable: DRAWABLE
> 	size: CARD32
> 	width, height, stride: CARD16
> 	depth, bpp: CARD8
> 	buffer: FD
> └───
> 	Errors: Alloc, Drawable, IDChoice, Value, Match
>
> 	Creates a pixmap for the direct rendering object associated
> 	with 'buffer'. Changes to pixmap will be visible in that
> 	direct rendered object and changes to the direct rendered
> 	object will be visible in the pixmap.
>
> 	'size' specifies the total size of the buffer bytes. 'width',
> 	'height' describe the geometry (in pixels) of the underlying
> 	buffer. 'stride' specifies the number of bytes per scanline in
> 	the buffer. The pixels within the buffer may not be arranged
> 	in a simple linear fashion, but 'size' will be at least
> 	'height' * 'stride'.

Perhaps is this just me but I find "The pixels [...] may not be" to be
ambiguous.

What about:
"The pixels within the buffer are not required to be arranged in [...]"

It is slightly longer but it eliminates the ten seconds it took me to figure
out the exact meaning. Same comment for DRI3BufferFromPixmap.

--
Greetings,
A. Huillet