Initial DRI3000 protocol specs available

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Feb 21 08:29:17 PST 2013

Stéphane Marchesin <stephane.marchesin at gmail.com> writes:

> With that said, I don't think it's that difficult/different. I can
> design a GLX extension spec and send a draft, then we can work from
> there.

Yeah, some concrete plan for GL would be really nice to have, at least
as a starting point.

> That is actually not what you want because it is a waste of bandwidth.
> Since compositors are typically bandwidth limited, you instead want to
> paint only the relevant sub regions. Those are easy to determine by
> transforming X damage regions into screen coordinates.

Of course, that's what SwapRegion is for -- it will get to pick whether
to copy or page flip and let the client know what happened, the region
you pass

> Most non-trivial compositing managers are already using partial update
> schemes through GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer or the GLX_EXT_buffer_age
> extensions + copies. I don't think it is far fetched to support a list
> of rectangles instead.

A region is already a list of rectangles; the only restriction that the
relative location of all of the source and dest rectangles is the
same. This satisfies the goal of doing a damage-based back->front
update.

keith.packard at intel.com