BCM5974 touchpad issues...

Daniel J Blueman daniel at quora.org
Mon Feb 11 23:32:15 PST 2013

On 12 February 2013 12:47, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> please don't send out 4 emails for the same issue.

My apologies; posting, subscribing and resubscribing to the right
mailing list with you CCd was racing with quick moderator approval.

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 03:10:41PM +0800, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
>> I'm seeing erratic click events on Broadcom 5974 touchpads (Macbook
>> Pro 10,1) during two-finger scrolling.
>>
>> I was wondering what mailing list is the most relevant, and where to
>> start to see if this is a userspace or kernel HID issue, anyone?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   Daniel
>>
>> $ synclient
>> Parameter settings:
>>     LeftEdge                = -3898
>
> this doesn't look right. did you set this somehow, or is this the default
> it comes up with?

This is the default, perhaps because the BCM5974 advertises a clickpad property.

>>     RightEdge               = 4428
>>     TopEdge                 = 434
>>     BottomEdge              = 6146
>>     FingerLow               = 70
>>     FingerHigh              = 75
>>     FingerPress             = 257
>>     MaxTapTime              = 180
>>     MaxTapMove              = 535
>>     MaxDoubleTapTime        = 180
>>     SingleTapTimeout        = 180
>>     ClickTime               = 100
>>     FastTaps                = 0
>>     EmulateMidButtonTime    = 0
>>     EmulateTwoFingerMinZ    = 283
>>     EmulateTwoFingerMinW    = 7
>>     VertScrollDelta         = -243
>>     HorizScrollDelta        = -243
>
> did you configure this as negative? if not, there's a bug there somewhere.

Yes, to achieve the (IMHO) more natural scroll direction.

> either way, hard to tell without any information as to what server version
> or synaptics driver version you're running.

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.6.2
xserver-xorg 7.7

> Start with evtest and see if the
> data displayed is somewhat sane, and if events shown by evtest have sane
> values.
> specifically, check for BTN_LEFT events during scrolling.

The unexpected behaviour seems to happen only sometimes, so I'll
follow up when I've managed to capture the behaviour with evtest.

Many thanks,
  Daniel
--
Daniel J Blueman