XFixesGetCursorImage returning NULL?

Matei David matei.david at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 13:46:34 PST 2013

Hi,

I've recently had an issue with the function XFixesGetCursorImage. I was
using a program (screenclone) that assumed this function never returns
NULL. The program worked fine from the moment I started a KDE session (I'm
using Mint 13 KDE with kde 4.8.5) until something happened, most likely a
sleep/resume cycle. After that point, XFixesGetCursorImage would
occasionally (but not always) return NULL, causing that program to crash.
After logout/login, again the function would stop returning NULL.

In the meantime, the maintainer of the program fixed it to prevent the
crash. However, I wonder if this behaviour of XFixesGetCursorImage is
expected, or whether it indicates something else might be wrong under the
hood.

Ref:
https://github.com/liskin/hybrid-screenclone/issues/10

Thanks!