Regarding GSoC, 2013

Gursimran singh simar.i3r at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 03:14:58 PDT 2013

Hello introducing myself,

I'm Gursimran singh 4th year undergraduate at Thapar University, Patiala.
I'm glad to hear that xorg is participating in GSoC. I had been
contributing in ubuntu for about one and half years and trying to learn the
internals of the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, despite only a few
users in ubuntu contributing in this area. I have triaged and upstreamed
bugs related to the package and (feels like) know the detailed
artchitecture how the input subsystem fits in together with the linux
kernel. Unfortunately I wasn't able to add some real code patches being
novice (tried got stuck a couple of times) in this field. However now I
have better know-how to code compiling and packaging and is all ready to
experiment with X. I'm really passionate to learn the internals of X and
later I would like to become a part of the awesome community of X
developers and I think GSoC will help a lot in this regard.

Currently I would be glad to work on synaptics or some other driver if an
idea can be opened from the ToDo..
evdev: the evdev driver currently ignores joysticks altogether. It could be
extended to work against such devices and auto-setup itself accordingly.
evdev: evdev touchscreen support is still subpar to evtouch. One missing
feature is a right-click emulation on long presses. This would be a quite
trivial project.
synaptics: coasting is a on/off state toggle. should be momentum-based
instead.

I have full determination to work in X and would be thankful if community
could suggest me how should I strengthen my application. I can try add some
patches to bugs once the project finalizes. Thanks a lot.

Some wiki page that I have written
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection/evtest
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection/xev