trapezoidal distortion in X

Magnus Kessler Magnus.Kessler at gmx.net
Tue Apr 2 01:30:32 PDT 2013

On Monday 01 Apr 2013 15:31:35 Lasaro Camargos wrote:
> Dear XOrg developers,

Dear Lásaro,

> I am looking for a way to correct trapezoidal distortion due to a
> projection from a projector that is not right in front of the window
> it will project on. For example, the projector may be at the ceiling,
> just a few feet away from the wall it is supposed to project into, or
> even moving in some remotely controlled way. I would like to, given my
> previous knowledge of how projector and projection screen/wall are
> relatively to each other, distort the buffer in X so that the
> projection is corrected. The idea is to make it work for X, not only
> for my own programs, and that is why I am looking into X.

What you describe here is referred to as "keystone correction" in the xorg
documentation. In particular, you might want to have a look at the man page
for xrandr. Look for the "--transform" option

http://www.x.org/archive/current/doc/man/man1/xrandr.1.xhtml#heading4

While the documentation doesn't give the exact recipe for keystone correction,
all the underlying maths have been implemented for quite some time already.

Hope this helps a bit,

Magnus