Installing proto pc files in /usr/share/pkgconfig?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 07:15:11 PDT 2012

On Sep 23, 2012 9:59 PM, "Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" <
yselkowitz at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On 2012-09-23 12:35, Matt Turner wrote:
>>
>> The proto packages install their pc files in $(libdir)/pkgconfig, but
>> this leads to files being installed in /usr/lib32 or /usr/lib64 when
>> there's nothing ABI specific about them.
>>
>> Would it be reasonable to install them to $(prefix)/share/pkgconfig
instead?

> Absolutely NOT.  If you do this, then they will be picked up when
cross-compiling, adding e.g. -I/usr/include to CFLAGS, which will then
cause the build-system's headers to be used instead of the cross-host's.

Where the pc file is installed has nothing to do with what flags are
returned. This is only an issue if people don't put $datadir/pkgconfig in
their path. That used to happen frequently, but now there are lots of
arch-independent packages who put their pc files there. The likelihood this
breaks now is pretty low.

Can you explain how this affects cross-compiling?

Dan