lack of reviewers

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun May 20 08:42:01 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I would like to tell another story, perhaps you follow me.

I work on a project with a quite sharp gradient of competence in the
development team. We do use gerrit and a build server which verifies our
patches.

The effect of gerrit - in our case! - is to encourage the less
knowledgeable people to do more complicated changes because they can
rely on the infrastructure to catch most errors for them. Also, we all
sleep better knowing it's hard to break the thing.

Gerrit discerns "review" from humans from "validation" e.g. from
tinderbox. Every patch is validated independently, as far as is
possible. You know pretty fast when and where you made a mistake. Also
it will email you (configurable at the user level!) so you don't need to
check it actively if you don't like.

For us it pays. But it also costs:

The build process and unit testing has to be handled more rigid. We have
a lot of surrounding infrastructure just to nail the builds and tests.
It regularly needs attention to maintain.

All in all, I think this not really a social problem - it's a social
problem with technological roots, meaning it can be relieved
substantially. But it's not likely to be easy even if the tinderbox
already exists.

HTH,

Simon