randr provider object

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri May 18 11:08:20 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> writes:
>
>> On 5/15/12 3:04 PM, Dave Airlie wrote:
>
>> My concern is how you're going to build this programmatically if you
>> keep with a poke-one-thing model, I just envision intermediate states
>> that don't make a ton of sense on their own but that we'd end up needing
>> to allow.  What do you imagine the sequence of requests looking like?
>
> Should we try to get the everything-at-once stuff from randr 1.4 rebased
> and reviewed again? One thing that stymied it the first time was that
> extending randr for more stuff like this looked 'hard'.

I think the only way to do it and keep it extensible, it to make
everything a property of an object.

Then the client passes a list of object types + XIDs + property/value
pairs for it, we can then add new XID and properties in the future,
without having to change things.

So we get something like objtype,xid,propertylist , and we can add new
values to objtype for new objects like providers.

(outside the scope of my project ;-)
Dave.