xserver-wrapper licensing (was: Re: [PULL to discuss] Remove kdrive, Xnest, and Xvfb)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Mar 27 14:46:51 PDT 2012

Hi,
Sorry for the excess quoting, I've left it in for context for those Cc'ed ...

2012/3/27 Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>:
> On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:08 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> While I've heard about this before, I've not seen the sources for this wrapper
>>> (can someone provide a pointer?  all I'm finding in google is man pages & bug
>>> reports that reference it)
>>
>> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xorg/debian/xorg.git;a=history;f=debian/local/xserver-wrapper.c
>
> As a warning, this is GPL-2:
>
>  88  * This is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify
>  89  * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
>  90  * published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2,
>  91  * or (at your option) any later version.
>
> I stopped reading after that point, given that we are likely to do something similar, I didn't want to contaminate myself with potential GPL influence.  Anyone who might actually write the code for our version of this wrapper should probably avoid reading the source.

Stephen, Mark, Branden - would you be amenable to relicensing this
under the standard X.Org MIT/X11 copyright, as quoted below, for
possible inclusion in X.Org upstream?

Thanks,
Daniel

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice (including the next
paragraph) shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the
Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING
FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.