[PULL to discuss] Remove kdrive, Xnest, and Xvfb

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Tue Mar 27 10:17:19 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 18:01 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 03/26/12 04:13 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> > These need to die.  This removes 30K lines of code from xorg-server.  It must be good!
> >
> > Most functionality of these servers can be provide by Xorg with either the nested or dummy video driver.  If someone really misses functionality, we should fix that deficiency in hw/xfree86, xf86-video-dummy, or xf86-video-nested.  Also, there's nothing stopping anyone from using older server versions if they still need these DDXs.
>
> The giant blocker from my point of view is that by just deleting them, you've
> made it impossible for non-root users to run them, since Xorg only reads config
> files from system directories when run as a root user.
>
> At the very minimum we should ship a couple simple configs such as (guessing at
> contents here, someone would need to test and refine):
>
> /usr/lib/X11/Xorg-vfb.conf:
> ------------------------------
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "vfb0"
>         Driver      "dummy"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> 	Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
> EndSection
> ------------------------------
>

> /usr/lib/X11/Xorg-nested.conf:
> ------------------------------
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Screen0"
>         Driver      "nested"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> 	Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Mouse0"
>     Driver         "nested"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>     Driver         "nested"
> EndSection
> ------------------------------
>
> Even better would be to ship Xephyr, Xvfb, Xnest as simple shell scripts that
> did basically "Xorg -config Xorg-vfb.conf $*"  (possibly with some argument
> manipulation for other arguments those supported).

Thanks for examples, I though a good job , is replace
/usr/bin/Xvfb
/usr/bin/xvfb-run
transparently .

Other subject is vnc any replacement for x11vnc and x2vnc, I am worried
about applications which use code of X11 like this two:

x11vnc-0.9.13-1.fc16.x86_64

rpm -qi x2vnc-1.7.2-12.fc15.x86_64
Name        : x2vnc
License     : GPLv2+
URL         : http://fredrik.hubbe.net/x2vnc.html
Summary     : Dual screen hack for VNC
Description :
This program will let you use two screens on two different computers
as if they were connected to the same computer even if
one computer runs Windows.

Thanks,
--
Sérgio M. B.