[PULL to discuss] Remove kdrive, Xnest, and Xvfb

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Mar 26 21:09:49 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
<yselkowitz at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> As a non-Xorg DDX maintainer, several quick questions that jump to mind:
>
> 1. Will Xorg even work on Cygwin/MinGW?  (I would ask the same of OS X, but
> as the Xquartz maintainer I suppose you know what you are doing.) Even if it
> does, I see already it would take some serious patching to build due to the
> module-based architecture, which I would be willing to work on.

Ah, that's a good point. Jeremy took care of the issues with running
Xorg on OS X during the 1.12 cycle, but that needs to happen for
Windows too. I'm hopeful that at least some of the work he did will
make that job easier.

> 2. XWin must still provide the /usr/bin/X symlink on Cygwin/MinGW.

Seems like a packaging issue, not an upstream issue, so I don't think
that'll be a problem?

However, our capstone project that just finished was a start toward
replacing the XQuartz DDX with a stock Xorg server and a special
client, and I'm hoping that XWin can go the same direction.

The special client acts something like a compositing window manager.
It's pretty alpha right now, but proves the concept nicely on OS X. It
was designed to have a portable core library shared by several
applications, one for each native window system (say, OS X, Windows,
and Wayland). Now would be a great time to start generalizing to other
window systems.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxcwm/

> 3. We would definitely need the wrapper scripts mentioned by Alan to replace
> the removed DDXs.

Probably worth having those on any platform, really.

Jamey