docs and masterdb

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Sun Mar 25 11:32:32 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to correctly use the external references
stuff when building docs for my packages, and I have a few questions.
(I've read the xorg-sgml-doctools README, which is a big help, so I'm
mostly looking for confirmations.)

First, the hardcoded pathnames in masterdb.xml won't really work for me.
E.g.  I'll probably want to install the Xt docs in
/usr/share/doc/libxt-dev/ (as that's what my package is called) rather
than /usr/share/doc/libXt/.  Should I be patching all the paths in
masterdb?  Would that cause any issues for anyone else building docs on
a Debian system?

What's the impact of the 'unresolved olink' errors I see while
generating documentation?  Do I need to have all the referenced docs
installed at their final locations (including the ones that come from
the same module) when building a module's docs, to avoid them?  That
sounds like it would result in fun dependency loops.

I think I'm going to need some time to get this all straight :)

Cheers,
Julien