Stable branch reformatting issues

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Mar 23 00:24:17 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 06:58:59PM -0700, Chase Douglas wrote:
> I think that's a bit overkill. If we are going to reformat the 1.11 and
> earlier branches, then we might as well leave it at that and let the
> downstreams worry about it. Or, actually have someone maintain a
> pre-formatted branch. However, adding another level of stable branches
> (and releases?) that differ from the main stable branches could get very
> confusing.

Fwiw, once Ubuntu 12.04 is out, it's probably unlikely we'd be doing
much beyond security fixes for earlier xservers, so the odd patch
needing a reformat is not going to be a big deal.  If it helps upstream
to reformat their stable series, we can cope with deformatting on our
end.

Granted, this issue will apply for Precise's 1.11 xserver, which I do
hope we can continue to pull fixes into more actively.  However I
suspect most of the changes we'll see will be on the input side, which
is 1.12.  (I'm presuming we'll reformat the input patches we're carrying
to match upstream?)

Bryce