libX11: Changes to 'master'

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 19 15:03:44 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-19 18:45, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 16:32:07 +0100, Pander wrote:
>
>> On 2012-03-14 22:25, James Cloos wrote:
>>> Nuts.  I thought all of those were sorted already.
>>>
>>> The dstroke and Dstroke lines are arguably better than the U0110 and
>>> U0111 lines.

>>> the <Multi_key> <o> <apostrophe> entry for ó will have to go.
>>
>> Double nuts about the apostrophe. The <o> <apostrophe> for ó is used
>> much much more then the sequences starting with <o> <apostrophe> for Ǻ
>> and ǻ, for which alternative exist.
>>
>> Please remove:
>>   <Multi_key> <o> <apostrophe> <A> 	: "Ǻ"   U01FA # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER
>> A WITH RING ABOVE AND ACUTE
>> and remove:
>> WITH RING ABOVE AND ACUTE
>>
>> because these are also available as:
>>   <Multi_key> <asterisk> <apostrophe> <A> 	: "Ǻ"   U01FA # LATIN CAPITAL
>> LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE AND ACUTE
>> and as:
>> LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE AND ACUTE
>>
>> And at the same time, restore:
>>   <Multi_key> <O> <apostrophe>           : "Ó"   Oacute # LATIN CAPITAL
>> LETTER O WITH ACUTE
>> and restore:
>>   <Multi_key> <o> <apostrophe>           : "ó"   oacute # LATIN SMALL
>> LETTER O WITH ACUTE
>>
>> There has been many requests about mirrored availability of compose key
>> sequences for often used diacritics with vowels in the past. This is
>
> Where?

Hi Julien,

At least in the gtk+/GNOME realm, that is probably also why both orders
are supported. If you want I can get you the URLs. Apart from that,
please see my motivation below.

>> because, depending on their your native language, people use
>> diacritic+vowel or the reverse, vowel+diacritic.
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply but this will prevent many irritations.
>> Implementing the above mentioned change will make the overall patch from
>> downstream gtk+ a success.
>>
> Sorry, I don't think adding more redundant compose sequences qualifies
> as a success.  Changing existing compose sequences to add different
> redundant ones even less so.

I agree complete with you by not adding the redunant codes for ¤¶§ etc.
That were indeed too many for simply the same rarely used character and
gtk-lookaside should drop these as well.

However for ó I beg to differ. The vowels aeiou and diacritics `´'~^¯¨
are completely available in both orders. Because the are used so often,
missing out on <o> <apostrophe> will break the consistency in this
series and decrease user experience  and expectency of the system.

Ǻ has alternative codes and is so reaerly used, it is even hard to find
examples of usage, except for side effect of wrong encoding. :S Can you
find any? Also <o> <apostrophe> → ó was (until last week) an existing
compose sequence, albeit conflicting with Ǻ, only, in my perspective,
the wrong compose sequence was eliminated.

Perhaps some other members of the community would like to support this
cause or comment on this?

> Cheers,
> Julien

Best regards,