Evdev for a touchscreen w/ digitizer

Cedric Sodhi manday at gmx.net
Mon Jun 4 01:47:46 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:36:10AM +0200, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 10:16:53AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 09:54:28PM +0200, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > There is an EETI eGalax 0eef:a001 Touchscreen and a Wacpm 056a:0090
> > > ISDV4 stylus device.
> > >
> > > Evtest output for a simple "tap" on the eGALAX is attached.
> > >
> > > With Xorg 1.12.2, inputproto 2.2 on gentoo, "xinput list egalax" yields
> > >
> > > eGalax_eMPIA Technology Inc. PCAP MultiTouch Controller id=13   [slave
> > > pointer  (2)]
> > > Reporting 3 classes:
> > > 	Class originated from: 13
> > > 	Buttons supported: 5
> > > 	Button labels: Button Unknown Button Unknown Button
> > > Unknown Button Wheel Up Button Wheel Down
> > > 	Button state:
> > > 	Class originated from: 13
> > > 	Detail for Valuator 0:
> > > 		Label: Abs MT Position X
> > > 		Range: 0.000000 - 32760.000000
> > > 		Resolution: 0 units/m
> > > 		Mode: absolute
> > > 		Current value: 640.000000
> > > 	Class originated from: 13
> > > 	Detail for Valuator 1:
> > > 		Label: Abs MT Position Y
> > > 		Range: 0.000000 - 32760.000000
> > > 		Resolution: 0 units/m
> > > 		Mode: absolute
> > > 		Current value: 400.000000
> > >
> > > But there are no events reported, instead, Xorg.0.log lists
> > >
> > > [ 25099.433] [dix] eGalax_eMPIA Technology Inc. PCAP MultiTouch
> > > Controller: unable to find touch point 0
> >
> > is this logged just once or repeatedly?
>
> It used to be logged repeatedly. It no longer happens and I cannot
> reproduce it. However, although the pointer now moves, I get no button
> events. I've attached yet another log of evtest and I also CC this email
> to Benjamin Tissoires, who used to help me get the eGalax to work.
>
> In fact, the issue seems somewhat like the problem when the eGalax was
> not properly handled by the kernel. If the evtest log does not
> immediately reveal where the problem lies, I may bisect; but this could
> become rather lengthy, I don't even know whether the problem lies in
> evdev, in Xorg or in usb-hid.
>
> I hope you can tell by the evtest log whether the reports from the
> kernel are okay.

Uhm... so, after yet another restart of X (for other reasons), although
I have not changed anything, I seem now to get click events from the
eGalax. Very strangely though, it does not seem to work everywhere.

For example it works perfectly well in my running applications, but when
I "tap" on the root, where Openbox would usually bring up its menu upon
left click, the menu does not appear. However, if the menu is already
up, clicking on it or on the root again to close it, works.

All very, very strange...