Use pixman glyph API

Søren Sandmann sandmann at cs.au.dk
Sat Jun 2 15:56:07 PDT 2012

Søren Sandmann <sandmann at cs.au.dk> writes:

> The following patch ports fb over to use a proposed new glyph cache
> API for pixman 0.28.0. That API is described in this thread:

There is a new version of the glyph API series here:

    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pixman/2012-June/002024.html

The X patch doesn't change except for new performance numbers (the
improvement is slightly less than before), but it is important to note
that the new series implies a semantic change to glyph rendering.
Currently, if you use an a8 glyphset with an a8r8g8b8 mask format, the
glyphs will end up invisible because adding them to the mask will only
affect the alpha channel which is not usually used in component alpha.

The new series instead uses

    (white IN glyph) ADD mask

which has the effect of adding the alpha channel to all the hannels of
the mask.

It is *conceivable* that there is some buggy application out there that
relies on rendering a bunch of invisible glyphs, but it can't be common
and the current behavior is so useless that I don't worry too much about
changing it.

Review of the patch appreciated.

Søren