KeySym to Unicode?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jan 25 07:18:43 PST 2012

On 01/25/12 12:55 AM, Troy Watson wrote:
> Thanks for the reply - Is that what I want though? Looking at
> http://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man3/XkbTranslateKeySym.3.xhtml
> it returns me a KeySym and a char buffer filled with... something. I
> just want a keysym->unicode code point conversion. I'm starting to
> think such a thing doesn't exist in Xlib, for some unfathomable
> reason.

Because Unicode was invented years after Xlib and no one ever went back
to add such a thing?   Most of the Xlib API is codeset independent since
it was written in the days when every locale used a different character
set (ISO 8859-*, Big5, JIS, etc.), so you get a char buffer appropriate
to the current locale.

There were a few UTF-8 specific additions in later years, but mostly we've
been trying to let Xlib rest in peace since then, pushing new API design
towards xcb instead.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com