X.org testing with Google Test

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Mon Jan 2 18:06:18 PST 2012

On 01/02/2012 05:54 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> Also, the tinderbox currently does make use of the existing unit tests in the server by running 'make check' after the build.  I assume we could easily add these new unit tests to 'make check' and it will "just work"

Correct. In Makefile.am, you would add a new xorg-gtest derived
executable to the TESTS variable (and noinst_PROGRAMS so it's not
installed). Then define the sources and such for the executable.
Automake will build and execute the test program when "make check" is
performed.

I personally really like how the Jenkins interface looks, so I don't
think it would be bad to convert from tinderbox. However, that's the
true extent of my knowledge, which isn't enough to make a real decision
with :). The path of least resistance is likely just adding any new
tests to 'make check' and letting tinderbox go about as-is.

The one issue with xorg-gtest and a dummy server is that the server must
be run as root. This is because the dummy.conf file is installed in a
non-standard location (for obvious reasons). Does it still make sense to
limit the configuration file locations for non-root users? Should we add
a -dummy flag to Xorg so we don't need a dummy.conf file?

-- Chase