GSoC 2012

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Feb 7 11:22:17 PST 2012

On 02/ 7/12 11:07 AM, Stéphane Marchesin wrote:
> That sounds like a great idea. Over the last couple years, we've had
> an increasing number of students who were more interested in money
> than in the actual technical challenge and the open source aspect.
> Such students will require lots of mentoring, do a sloppy job, and
> then disappear after the summer. For us (X.Org) it's a net loss
> because we invest mentoring time. Recruiting passionate students in
> the universities would help us avoid this problem.
>
> Along the same lines I'm thinking about having a policy of "you must
> have at least one accepted patch to one of the freedesktop repos to be
> a SoC student" this year.

That's an interesting idea, and shouldn't be too hard a burden to bear,
especially if we've got a set of "bite size" bugs/fixes identified they
can try tackling, like the ones on
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=love&resolution=---

We should also look at the tips Donnie shared from the Gentoo project
GSoC experience:

http://www.slideshare.net/dberkholz/succeeding-in-the-google-summer-of-code-as-a-large-project
http://fosdem.org/2012/schedule/event/succeeding_gsoc

(Unfortunately, I don't know if that was one of the FOSDEM rooms being
  recorded this year, but fortunately, we know how to find Donnie to pick
  his brain directly as needed.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com