Synaptics patch review request - add option for invert circular scrolling direction

Lukáš Karas lukas.karas at centrum.cz
Sun Feb 5 15:23:13 PST 2012

Dne Ne 5. února 2012 23:29:01 Chase Douglas napsal(a):
> On 02/05/2012 09:35 PM, Lukáš Karas wrote:
> > Synaptics driver generates negative (up) scrolling event with clockwise
> > circular scrolling gesture. This make sense, when you start this gesture
> > on left corner of touchpad.
> >
> > But when you start on right corner and move your finger from top to
> > bottom,
> > continue to left clockwise, then page scrolls top. This should be
> > intuitive inverted in this case.
> >
> > My patch add simple option (bool) that invert circular scrolling
> > direction.
> > User can setup his gesture preferences with that option.
> >
> > Please, review this patch, I am not sure in start_coasting function.
>
> Hi Lukáš,
>
> I have a feeling we may want inverted scrolling as a higher level
> option. It would affect all scrolling, include two touch drag, circular,
> and edge scrolling. I make this claim based on the inversion of
> scrolling in OS X. We've already had a bug on launchpad.net requesting
> this feature.
>
> Instead of adding property for inverting just circular scrolling,
> perhaps we should add a generic scrolling inversion property that takes
> two boolean arguments: invert vertical scrolling and invert horizontal
> scrolling. It would affect all the scrolling behaviors.
>
> What do you think?
>
> (Btw, your patch seems to include hunks that are unrelated to the
> changes. Maybe they have some whitespace munging?)
>
> Thanks for the effort so far!
>
> -- Chase

But I don't want invert direction of *all* scrolling events, but just circular
gesture, when it starts at right corner. If you use combination of two methods
- mouse wheel and touchpad circular gesture for example - It make sence invert
only touchpad gesture.

Maybe will be better invert scroll events automaticaly depending on where
gesture starts. Because you can start circular scrolling on any corner with
CircScrollTrigger = 0. If gesture starts with up to down move and continue to
circle, I expect scroll down, it is not significant on what corner starts
(left or right).

Lukas.