NVIDIA Tegra DDX

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Mon Dec 10 04:34:57 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:40:21PM +0100, Marc Dietrich wrote:
> Am Montag, 10. Dezember 2012, 12:01:26 schrieb Michal Suchanek:
> > On 10 December 2012 11:56, Thierry Reding
> >
> > <thierry.reding at avionic-design.de> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've upload a rebranded and cleaned up version of xf86-video-tegra to a
> > > repository on gitorious[0]. Don't get too excited, since this is really
> > > just a fork of the modesetting driver with some unnecessary pieces such
> > > as PCI support removed.
> > >
> > > Aaron had some reservations about calling this xf86-video-tegra because
> > > it will clash with the binary tegra_drv.so provided by NVIDIA. However I
> > > couldn't come up with anything more creative. Distributions will have to
> > > deal with this in some way or another anyway and there really isn't a
> > > way of running both drivers on top of the same kernel currently, so I
> > > decided not to care.
> >
> > You cannot run both drivers on top of the same kernel but the X server
> > could possibly load and probe both drivers in turn and keep the one
> > that can work with the current kernel.
>
> exactly, don't shift the burden to maintain two name identical drivers for the
> same hw to the distributions.

Okay, those are good arguments.

> > Perhaps it could be named xf86-video-tegra-kms or something.
>
> or opentegra (to make clear that this driver is not the closed source one). I
> know this is a bit fanciless but it fits better IMHO.

I just remembered that back when I started working on Tegra DRM I wrote
some small utilities to help with the reverse engineering and some test
programs. At the time, some other projects were appearing and the trend
seemed to be to reverse the syllables of the original to obtain a new
name. So I went ahead and collectively named the utilities "grate". I'll
throw xf86-video-grate in as another potential candidate.

Thierry