X Integration test suite

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Aug 28 03:57:45 PDT 2012

One of the things I've spent quite a bit of time on over the last weeks
is a test suite. Chase tried to get some integration tests into the X
server repo a while ago but I think a standalone repo is best (for now
anyway).

I've pushed the current set of tests to
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~whot/xorg-integration-tests/, with a
lengthier explanation here:
http://who-t.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/xorg-integration-test-suite.html

Long story short, the xorg integration tests (XIT) are built on
googletest and xorg-gtest, i.e. written in C++. Most of them write out a
config, fire up a server, and then either check the log or query the
server for state. A few tests use evemu devices to send events.

Input testing is relatively simple with these tests since we can emulate
virtually anything, but I'm not sure yet if such test cases can scale to
output tests as well. Or even if there are tests that can be fully
automatic without anyone staring at the screen. I know mesa already has
such tests.

Any feedback is appreciated, I intend to talk about this a bit more at
XDC, but in the meantime you can see if it is useful. Right now, the
bigger issues I'm facing are the build system and scalability if we end
up with a ton of tests. And the ifdef hell that already started with
tests covering different X server versions, RHEL support, etc. Any
epiphanies on how to avoid a train wreck would be appreciated.

also, to add a bit of trolling, I'm now tempted to merge the input
drivers into the server repo....

Cheers,
   Peter