Naive questions about Spice virtual frame buffer driver

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Aug 7 11:23:56 PDT 2012

The xf86-video-qxl driver is an Xorg driver, based on the dummy driver
and some UXA code, which provides a virtualized Spice guest environment
by linking to and running the Spice server code.   Altogether, that
stack is known as Xspice.

I've been spending a lot of time with xf86-video-qxl in an attempt to
improve the performance of Xspice over slow links.

It's left me with some questions I was hoping others could help me with:

  1.  Is UXA still a reasonable choice?  Or is there now a clearly
      better/different way that this should be done?

      Don't get me wrong; the UXA code seems nice; it makes
      the operations required a simple set, easy to connect up with
      the Spice server.  I may also fail to understand a benefit it
      provides in terms of memory access that is useful for Spice.

      I just couldn't help but noticing that UXA seems to have gone
      from being The Hot New Thing (TM) to being Chopped Liver (TM).

  2.  Is there an official 'source' for uxa?  Should there be some
      attempt to rebase this driver against updated versions?

  3.  Does having UXA, just for a virtual frame buffer, provide
      some valuable acceleration via software?   It seems to, but
      I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers,

Jeremy